Sunday, March 20, 2011

Festung Ehrenbreitstein= Fortress

We went to the Festung Ehrenbreitstein today, which dates back to the year 1000.  It is a fortress 118
meters above the Rhine/Rhein river.  In earlier days France was on the other side of the Rhine, and this was on the German/Prussian side.  It was destroyed by the French to some degree, but was rebuilt around 1817 and 1832 by the Prussians.  It is now one of the strongest fortresses.  Apparently the birthplace of Beethoven’s mother is in the town just below it, we will have to check that out.  The view of the Rhein and Mosel rivers and the Deutsches Eck are incredible.  The sun wasn't in a good position for pictures of us, but here are a few.  I think I know where I want some family pictures taken when we get someone here to do it.  Dad or Anne :)!!

Vallendar & Niederwerth are in the distance, the White Church is on our island, and the tall brown one is Vallendar

2 comments:

Christy Wheeler said...

Laura! I am so happy that you are doing so well. Your little family is so cute! Enjoy Germany, it sounds like a great place.
Christy Wheeler (was Herbert)

BECKY said...

wow laura!!! i've wondered what happened to you! congrats on your daughter and living in germany. keep smiling! you look happy!